- Explore/Visit: Sign up for an Admissions Information Event at one of our campuses: SMA Prep 6-8th Grade or SMA High 9-12th Grade to learn about our educational approach and tour the school.
- Apply: Please complete and submit your application.
- Receive an enrollment offer: At the end of the Open Enrollment Period (Jan. 31st), we follow our Selection & Lottery Process. Once you have been selected for admissions, you will receive an email enrollment offer.
- Join our community: Get to know us by following our Social Media (@SarasotaMilitaryAcademy or @SMAprep), and joining our weekly email newsletter.
Selection & Lottery
Sarasota Military Academy is open to any student who resides in the Sarasota County School District, and the Manatee and Charlotte County School Districts. Students will be considered for admission without regard to race, religion, gender, or national or ethnic origin.
- Each year, the School agrees to enroll an eligible student by accepting a timely application from October 1st through January 31st of each year. The School’s registration procedures and open enrollment period shall be publicly advertised.
- All applications that are submitted between October 1st and January 31st are recorded on a spreadsheet by grade level and assigned a number.
- After the January 31st deadline, SMA reviews the number applications received compared to the number of seats available at each grade level.
a. If the number of applications received is less than the number of openings, all eligible students are admitted.
b. If the number of applications exceeds the capacity of the programs, class, grade level, or building, all applicants shall have an equal chance of being admitted through a random lottery selection process to fill the seats available based upon Florida Statute 1002.33, subsection (10), article (b) and (10)(e)(1).
- The random draw, or lottery process, starts with a random lottery name (number) generator using a spreadsheet application for each grade level after preferences are given.
If 250 seats are available for a grade level, then the first 250 names (numbers) are accepted.
- After all vacant seats have been filled at each grade level, SMA will place the remaining applicants on a wait list in the order the random lottery generator placed their name (number). As seats are available at each grade level, SMA will draw from the name next on the list. If the applicant declines, the next applicant will be offered a seat.
- Any application received after the original lottery and wait list will be accepted but will not be considered until after all additional applicants from the first lottery have either filled spots or turned down openings.
- Students not offered admission may reapply for the subsequent school year during the next enrollment window beginning October 1st through January 31st.
- SMA will not screen or review a student’s ELL and/or ESE status or IEP prior to the date of notice of acceptance is sent to the student’s parent/guardian.